Search This Blog

Thursday 29 May 2014

Bigoted? Baby I don't Care....


Dear Traffic Warden

My wife has gone into labour and I am unable to move my vehicle at the moment, but will move it ASAP.

I appreciate your understanding of the situation.

Many thanks

What kind of holiday photos do writers and authors take?  Those with a story behind them, like the one above from a car spotted in a short-term parking space in the picturesque island of Guernsey.

Obviously scribbled hastily,  the note looked genuine to me. But was it? Did the driver get a parking ticket? And if so, was he too busy being a proud father to worry?

Whenever I travel I  like to look for out of the ordinary scenes that might one day inspire me to write.

Like this one, below.

I wonder why the owners chose the name? No doubt it has some historical significance but, according to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, a bigot is 'a person who is prejudiced in their views and intolerant of the opinions of others...'

Well, it certainly  makes a change from Rose Cottage.



 

To me, what really separates Guernsey from any other holiday destination is this simple message posted outside a memorial to Queen Victoria, who visited the island in August 1846.  The key to Victoria Tower may be collected from Guernsey Museum and Art Gallery during normal opening hours. Can you imagine  anyone in this country calling in  at a provincial museum to 'borrow the key to the Tower?' 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Victoria Tower, Guernsey 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Which brings me back to where I began. If you are looking for something to write about, just take a look around, especially when you're away from home. You'd be amazed at what you can find (yes, even on the car park.) At least they didn't have parking wardens when this car ( an MG TB?) was made. 
 

3 comments:

Patsy said...

I don't suppose the 'excuse' of a wife in labour could be used too frequently in the same place.

Guernsey Girl said...

I agree, Patsy. It would be a hard one to pull off more than once! Thanks for coming by...:)

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Interesting there was enough time to write the note and with such good penmanship ! and I agree, you can find lots of interesting things if you just look ... (())