Search This Blog

Saturday 24 June 2017

The Spirit that Saved a Nation


JUST HOURS after  a young woman lost her home and possessions in London's Grenfell Tower tragedy, she arrived at the emergency help centre to see if someone could find her a new skirt. Why?
Because she needed to get to her job as a checkout assistant in the local supermarket. My first reaction was  disbelief.  Not only is it a great example of  the British 'stiff upper lip,' but also a sign of  immense  courage in the face of  tragedy.

It reminds me of what my Guernsey grandparents used to call the 'War Spirit.' When I was a young child, they told me how an indestructible  spirit helped the islanders endure five long years of German Occupation. And defiant they were - right to the end. Similarly, it seems, the people of London, whatever their colour or creed, have supported each other on a scale not seen for a long time in this country.

After years as a newspaper journalist I wake up these days in fear of the front page news. Perhaps it's time all of us stood together? Let the majority hold hands against the cruel minority and say  We Will Not Be Moved.







2 comments:

Barbara said...

I think everyone is still trying to come to terms with the Grenfell Tower fire. It is truly awful. I’m not sure I could have been as brave as that young woman, but I applaud her. As you said already it’s time we all stood together.
Thank you for welcoming me back to the world of blogging, I missed it and all my lovely blogging friends. xx

Guernsey Girl said...

Missed you too, Barbara. You're the most popular blogger I know. ;) xx